Full refit 2017
Design – Tony Grainger (www.graingerdesigns.net)
➢ Length – 8mt Main Hull (Outer floats are 9.2mt)
➢ Beam – 7mt
➢ Weight – 1285kg (weighed with 3 gennakers, 2 jibs, 1 mainsail, full safety ready to race minus crew)
➢ Construction – 100% foam core, with a combination of Glass, Kevlar and Carbon
➢ Demountable – Yes. The beams are socketed into the main hull and the boat is easily trailable behind a standard car. Boat and trailer just under 2 ton. (around 2 – 300 kg lighter than at Etchell keelboat tow weight)
➢ Trailer – Dual Axle Steel Trailer
➢ Year launched – 2017
➢ Builder – Platform professionally built by Lightwave Yachts and Mark Mathews Marine completed the foils and other custom componentry
➢ SEE ACCOMPANYING PHOTOS TO THIS INVENTORY / SPECIFICATION SHEET
MAST / BOOM / BOW SPRIT
• Marstrom (Sweden) autoclaved pre-preg carbon rotating wing mast custom engineered for this design (specifically for the boat weight and righting moment by Torbjorn Lindersen (who is now with Southern Spars)). The mast has a single spreader / diamond and is two piece (joined at the spreader) for ease of transport / shipping. Finish is clear coat gloss over carbon.
• Rigging (side stays and forestay) is 9mm dynex dux side stays and forestay with spectra chafe cover custom made by Sydney Rigging. (12 ton BL)
• Diamond wires on mast are -6 nitronic rod supplied by Marstrom
• Boom is custom carbon fibre and specifically engineered by Simon Flitcroft (ex Sparcraft and Formula Spars engineer) utilising FEA analysis for this boat. Finish is clear coat gloss over carbon. Professionally built by Mark Mathews Marine.
• Bow sprit is carbon fibre (double tapered) and was specifically engineered by Simon Flitcroft utilising FEA for this boat. Tube by Kilwell Fibretube in NZL. Airfoil striker by
C-Tech NZL. Supported by -6 nitronic rod bobstays. Finish is clear coat gloss over carbon. The sprit has a custom lightweight Harken track mounted on it with 2 x Harken cars. The furling drums pin to the upstands on the cars and allow the downwind sails to be brought back to the headstay upwind and to allow different sails to be pinned on as required whilst sailing.
• Halyards are all 6mm dynex dux and all are 2:1. All halyards have polyprop hollowcore tails to reduce weight and allow colour coding. Halyards are all brand new
• North sails 3DL mainsail x 1
• North sails carbon jib with reef x 1 (brand new. One regatta)
• North sails carbon heavy weather jib x 1 ( Been used 3 x times)
• Titanium ‘T’ Clew Rings in all jibs for sheet attachment
• North Sails laminate downwind sail inventory x 4 (1 x MH runner (A2.5), 1 x Hounds A3, 1 x MH panelled kevlar/carbon screecher (fuller shape), 1 x MH panelled Kevlar/carbon upwind screecher (flatter shape). All downwind sails are in mint condition.
• Profurl nex 2.5 furler and head swivel x 1
• Karver furler and head swivel x 1
• Sydney rigging torque luff lines in all downwind sails x
• Harken 40.2STA Performa racing winch package x 4 (in total)
• STB side cabin top winche is two speed electric controlled using wireless remotes
• All winches are brand new. (One regatta old)
• Rope clutches – Spinlock (brand new) (with custom CNC milled organiser by Carbotech Hong Kong)
• All other hardware is Harken / Lewmar and TyeTec
• 2 X Rudders – Designed by Oracle foil designer Paul Beiker and built by Mark Mathews Marine in female mould.
• 1 X Centreboard brand new. Designed by DSS foil designer Hugh Welbourne and built by Mark Mathews Marine in female mould. Latest design with hollow trailing edge – see photos for design shape
• 2 X Curved asymmetric foils in outer hulls as per ORMA 60. Built by Mark Mathews Marine in female moulds.
• All foils are carbon over foam cores. All foils have shear webs through the centre joining the laminates on either side of the foil
• Rudder link tubes all carbon fibre by Kilwell NZL
• 65 AMP battery
• VHF radio – hard wired
• STB side cabin top winch (HKB40.2STA 12V) (brand new)
• Electric mast canting winch (see specific notes below)
• Electric traveller winch (see specific notes below)
• Raymarine depth (i40) – brand new
• Velocitek GPS speed / heading – brand new
• Electric ‘rule’ bilge pump – brand new
• All electrical components professionally installed and minimum cables / length.
MAST CANTING SYSTEM
• The mast canting system is driven electrically
• The system is amazingly clean with each side stay disappearing below deck
• The system is operated by 2 x foot switches on the cockpit floor that the person releasing the jib sheet and tailing the new sheet through simply stands on during a tack or gybe. Port side button sends the rig to port. The Starboard side button sends the rig to Starboard.
• The speed of the cant from one side through centre and to the new side is the same time as it takes to tack the boat. This works exactly the same as a canting keel in this respect. As the helm pushes the tiller, the jib trimmer stands on the button. As the boat reaches its heading on the other tack the mast is at full cant on the other side.
• The stays stay in tension throughout the process
• The underdeck system is full custom to suit the boat / application / rigging loads and is amazingly simple to use and requires virtually no maintenance Vs a hydraulic system.
• No photos provided of the under deck system. You can view the system on inspection and the next owner will inherit all intellectual property.
• The traveller is driven by a simple winch and operated by wireless remotes by the crew sitting on the outer hull
• The driver for this system was the canting mast. With the mast canted, if you release the traveller lines the car will fire up to windward. This made moving the traveller almost impossible without releasing the mainsheet / slowing the boat. With this system we can put the boom exactly where we want it to balance the boat with ease.
ELECTRIC CABIN TOP WINCH
• The Starboard side cabin top winch is 2 speed electric – brand new
• The winch is operated by wireless remotes
• The wireless system was supplied by OLectric Systems in Sydney. (OLectic are the electrical designers for Wild Oats, Blackjack – Reichel Pugh 100’ etc)
• The primary spinnaker sheets pass through a spinlock clutch that enables the crew to quickly transfer to the electric winch at any time. (i.e we trim off the electric winch downwind on either gybe) This system enables us to race this boat with only three people. All three of us can sit on the windward hull and trim the mainsheet, traveller (through wireless remote) and spinnaker sheet (through wireless remote)
• 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke
• 25 Litre fuel tank
• Dual axle steel trailer (as new)
• Hydraulic brakes (not hooked up)
• Custom made for boat
MISCELLANEOUS NOTES / INVENTORY
• Full cat 5 safety equipment
• Bunk cushions (brand new – never used)
• Spare forestay
• Spare carbon prodder pole
• Boat cover – brand new
• Outboard cover – brand new
• Winch covers x 4 – brand new
• Fully faired and 2 pack paint finish interior
• Custom nets between the hulls – brand new
• Custom sail bags for downwind sails – brand new
• Custom cuben fibre rope bags for halyards – brand new
• Lewmar one touch winch handles and Titan winch handles
• Carbon tiller extensions
• Spinlock universals to all steering link tubes (zero play)
• Tapered spectra spinnaker sheets x 2 with Gibb quick release clips
• Spare sheets
• 2 x fenders
• Fast pins on 2 x spinnaker and 1 x jib halyard 2:1 fittings – brand new
• 2 x endless furling lines operate neatly from either side of the boat – brand new
• Mainsheet is endless so you don’t end up with all the mainsheet rope on one side – brand new
• Main halyard and mainsail reefing system utilise a stopper/lock system
• Ratchet straps and equipment for tying down
• Outboard / boat registered
• Crew shirts (breathable / quick dry – all sizes)
• The boat is meticulously maintained to the highest level with no expense spared on all equipment, system optimised and race ready