This is a classic Ted Hood cruising centerboard cruising sloop that is well known as a capable vessel with honest sailing characteristics, robust construction great sailing ergonomics. Centerboard design offers both shadow water capabilities (Thinking about the Bahamas, or sneaking up into a shallower mooring?), and excellent upwind characteristics with the board down. The skeg hung, balanced rudder with protected prop is separated from the keel. This design is highly regarded - and was built by two other builders associated with Ted Hood due to it's excellent all around performance, well behaved sailing, and offshore capabilities.
The Bristol 38.8 has a straightforward, highly functional layout that has proven the test of time - because it works, and it works well, for both coastal cruising and offshore passages. The entire interior is built of teak joinery, and fully varnished. This is a high quality interior and typical of the fine craftsmanship in this series of Bristols. Headroom is 6 foot 4 inches. Ventilation is excellent, galley and navigation stations are both "proper" and useful. Vee berth forward, large head with shower, salon with port and starboard settees (Port pulls out to double), galley aft with nav station opposite, and a quarter berth. Engine access from under the companionway stairs as well as from the quarter berth and the cockpit locker.
- 4 dorade box protected vents
- 6 Bomar opening ports
- 2 Bomar overhead hatches
- 4 non-opening port-lights provide excellent visibility and light.
- Sunbrella covered salon cushions
- Solid Teak & Holly Sole, varnished. Another example of the quality build.
- 4 Hella Cabin Fans (2010)
- Large vee berth is useful as two singles or a very large double with the use of the filler.
- Filler piece is stored above berth
- Seat between berths
- Lockers above berth both port and starboard
- Drawers and counter to starboard
- Hanging locker to staraboard
- Access directly to head from forward cabin
- Door to salon for full privacy
- Overhead hatch and opening ports
This is large, comfortable head with a separate area for the vanity and a separate area for the toilet/shower.
- Ample storage
- Holding tank and hoses replaced 2011
- Shower sump and pump
- Pressure and manual water pumps
- Storage above and below vanity.
- Doors from salon and from forward cabin.
- Opening port.
Like the rest of the interior, this area is lavished in varnished teak, and feels roomy, luxurious and comfortable.
- Port and starboard Settees
- Port Settee pulls out to a double.
- Starboard settee pulls out to wooden the single berth.
- Storage lockers and bookshelves above both settees
- Lockers behind and under the berths on both port and starboard provide excellent storage.
- Fixed teak table with folding leaves is simpler to use than a bulkhead mounted table.
- Liquor/wine storage in table.
- Overhead hatch, dorado vents, opening ports.
A sea-going U-shaped galley useful both at sea and at anchor. Located oft to port, this galley is convenient to the cockpit for passing up food and drinks, and wide open to the salon for a "great room" feeling.
- Superb storage in lockers above and below the counters.
- Double stainless steel sink
- Pressure hot & cold water
- manual foot operated water pump
- Shipmate stainless steel 3 Burner propane stove & oven
- Counter top cover for stove.
- 2 - 5 lb. Propane Tanks - 2010, Remote solenoid switch.
- Stainless steel lined icebox with refrigeration.
Forward facing navigation table with a seat on the forward end of the quarter berth.
- Storage in Nav table
- Four drawers under nav table
- VHF and stereo flush mounted.
HULL and DECK
- Original white gelcoat in excellent condition.
- Original gel-coal decks, two tone with buff non-skid.
- All bright work in excellent condition; properly maintained.
- Tall teak toe rail, varnished.
- Varnished Dorade boxes with cowl vents and Stainless Steel guard rails.
- Varnished teak hand rails
- Varnished teak eyebrow trim.
- Comfortable cockpit with one deep cockpit locker and one shallow locker.
- Varnished teak coaming cap.
- Dedicated propane locker in Cockpit.
- Double Lifelines w/ Gates (replaced 2010)
- New Chainplates (Replaced 2010)
- Stainless Steel centerboard winch, cable serviced annually
- All deck hardware removed and re-bedded 2010
- Portlight lenses replaced 2010
- Ports and portlights removed and re-bedded (2010)
- Folding Swim Ladder with teak steps
SAILS, SPARS AND RIGGING
- Hood Stowaway Furling Mast - Recent Service
- Mast & Boom - recent white Awlgrip in excellent condition
- Mainsail - Quantum 2010
- 120% furling genoa - Quantum 2010
- Spare main & jib
- Cruising spinnaker w/ snuffer
- Hall Quick Vang - 2010
- Forespar Whisker / Spinnaker Pole w/ Mast Track, stored on mast.
- Harken mainsheet traveler - 2010
- Spinlock sheet stoppers - 2010
- Harken main outhaul track - 2010
MECHANICAL and SYSTEMS
- Sound insulation in engine compartment
- Cockpit engine instrument panel
- Racor fuel filter
- 2 & 3 Blade fixed props. 3 blade recently refurbished
- Electric & Manual Bilge Pumps
- New Holding Tank & Macerator - 2011
- Hot Water Heater, engine and 110v.
- Emergency Tiller
- New fuel tank, recent
12 Volt DC
- Circuit Panel w/ Volt & Amp Meters
- 105 Amp Alternator
- Xantrex Link 20 Battery Monitor
- 1 Engine Start Battery
- 2 - AGM House Batteries - 400 Amp Hours, new 2011
- Engine and house battery switches, replaced 2010
- Battery Parallel
- LED bulbs in all Reading Lamps
- LED Anchor Light - 2016
110 Volt AC:
- AC Circuit Panel w/ Volt & Amp Meters
- Polarity Indicator
- Xantrex Battery Charger
- 30 Amp Shore power Cord
All electronics have been updated and are networked for modern functionality.
- Compass in Binnacle at pedestal
- Horizon Matrix VHF Radio / w/ AIS networked To chartplotter
- Full Function VHF cockpit microphone
- Garmin 5208 Touchscreen Color Chartplotter w/ HD Digital Radar Overlay (2010)
- 24" Garmin HD Digital radar (2010)
- Raymarine - Depth, Knot & Wind Instruments mounted in sea hood.
- Raymarine 6002 - Linear Drive Autopilot 2011
- Sony Stereo w/ Cabin Speakers - recent
- Dodger, Bimini and Connector - Recent, excellent condition, finely fitted. Toast colored Sunbrella.
- Full covers for hatches, dorado boxes, winches, toe rails, and handrails. Toast colored Sunbrella
- Cockpit Cushions
- Hot and cold shower in cockpit (2010)
- 4 pad eyes for harness attachment on cockpit
- Full Fairclough Cover - used 2 seasons. Stored in indoors all other seasons.
- Propane hoses and solenoid replaced 2010
- Outboard motor davit at aft pulpit.
- Deck washdown system Jabsco, new 2011
- 6 docklines and 4 fenders
- Emergency Tiller
- Lewmar Windlass w/ Manson Anchor, 50' Chain & Rode
- Additional anchor