It is no wonder that MORNA with her canoe stern and fine drawn out ends has found over the years; owners who adore and love her – with more volume below and expansive deck space she has always proved the perfect cruising boat. Dickies knew how to build strong and supremely seaworthy boats and in MORNA Peter Dickies’s passion for beautiful yachts is also very evident....along with a little influence from Albert Strange and William Fife II perhaps ?
MORNA designed by Peter Dickie was built by A.M Dickie and Son, of Tarbert., Argyll, circa 1920 to the order of Captain Ronald Sillars who owned her for 2 years. She was then in Northern Ireland for 35 years with the Workman family, owners of the famous Belfast shipyard, Workman and Clarke. MORNA then sailed extensively around the world returning to UK by road transport from Croatia to be bought in 2002 by the current owner, who has since set about a programme of restoration and modernisation.
- 1 ½ inch thick carvel pitch pine planking
- Sawn oak frames at approx 12 inch centres, interspersed with 2 steamed ribs
- All fastened in boat nails and copper nails roved on the inside
- Hull copper sheathed below the waterline from the 1980s
- New 3 inch oak deck beams throughout
- New full length pitch pine beam shelf
- 1/3rd inch teak planked decks on 2 layers of Robbins Super Elite marine ply; total 1 ¼ inch
- New rib ends, toe rail and toe rail cappings are teak
- Original teak deck hatches and doghouse with their bronze fittings have been retained
- Hardwood rudder stern hung on substantial pintles
- Full length keel of c 3 tons lead with additional c 2 tons loose lead ingot ballast in bilge
- Bronze keel bolts
- Rigged as a Ketch
- Spars are solid Douglas fir and include mainmast, mizzen mast, associated booms, gaffs, topsail yard and bowsprit
- Stainless steel standing rigging 8mm wire 7 x 7 layup, renewed 2004
- Running rigging and cordage of mixed synthetic fibre types
- New sails in 2005 by Fylde Sails of Fleetwood, main, mizzen, staysail, furling headsail, topsail; all in white Terylene
- Staysail in Clipper Canvas by North Sails new 2015
- Mitre cut furling jib in Clipper Canvas (spun polyester) by Steve Hall 2014
- Perkins Sabre 4 cyl 67 HP marine Diesel engine offset to port in aft cabin
- Hydraulic drive to duplex stainless steel 1 ¼ inch shaft in water lubricated bearing
- 3 blade bronze propeller
- Cutless bearing new 2012
- Stirling Power battery management system.
- 2 x flexi freshwater tanks stowed in galley bilge
- 1 x Whale automatic electric bilge pump 2012
- 1 x Whale Gusher 30 manual bilge pump
- 1 x Whale Gusher 10 manual bilge pump in cockpit 2012
- Seiwa GPS plotter with discreet 19 inch LED flat screen 2012 in cupboard
- Cobra DSC radio
- VHF radio
- Garmin 128 GPS
- Nasa echo-sounder.
- Regulation navigation lights
- Magnetic steering compass.
33 High Street
Poole, Dorset BH15 1AB